Saturday, October 15, 2016

Social Media and Electronic Devices

                              

                Social media and electronic devices has been a big part of our lives ever since they were invented. Throughout our life we depended on these devices to communicate with others. In my childhood years I did not have a phone, but I did have a computer at home and the only social media I had at the time was Facebook. Reason why I had a Facebook was to communicate with my family and friends because I didn’t get to see often. I’m glad I didn’t have a phone during those times because I was more focused and more energized to do absolutely anything. I did not have a phone to contact my neighbor to see if she was home. I would walk to my neighbor’s house to see if she was there and if not I would come home, and that was that. When we would spend time together we would go swimming, skateboarding, or play soccer outside. It wasn’t till the summer of my junior year in high school when I got my first phone. When I got my phone a lot of things changed, I wasn’t paying attention to my friends as often and I would lose focus in school sometimes. In David Brook’s article it said,” we remove or drastically filter all the information we might get by being with another person.” Which is totally true now a day, people often forget they’re with their friends because they are more engaged on social media and worried about what others are doing. I have seen a lot of people go out and they’re constantly on their phones all the time. I feel like these devise have taken over our lives; we rather actually capture the moment other than to live in the moment. There are many reasons why these devices have there positive effects but there are also a lot of reasons why these devise have there negative outcomes. For example, a good outcome from these devices is that now everything can be done through the touch of a hand. The con of these devices is that it’s a distraction to what is really important, like school. Students make it seem that these devices are more important than to listen to their instructor give a lecture and then complain when they receive a bad score on their exam.

6 comments:

  1. I think everyone should wait till their older to receive a cell because it tends to be the biggest attention span - distraction towards individuals.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i agree with the friends part. Majority of the time most people forget about their friends because social media has taken most of our attention. We rather know what's going on social media. It is really a big distraction.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i agree with the friends part. Majority of the time most people forget about their friends because social media has taken most of our attention. We rather know what's going on social media. It is really a big distraction.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with everything you said! I too felt more energized with out one then I do now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We had a lot of similar ideas about this topic I like to know I wasn't the only one that was like this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree no one ever enjoys the moment anymore.

    ReplyDelete